2.05.2014

On childhood in general, mine in particular.

I put my pen to the paper
Letters and words
Sentences and stanzas
Spiraling from the tip.
The characters flowing from my consciousness
To the page in front of me.
My thoughts are words,
Arranging themselves into
"Art" as my soul drips
With the ink.

I've always thought in words.
I've never been spatially aware.
Even with crayons, I wrote.

My name. 
My mom's name.
My pictures are
Inadequate.
My grapes don't look
As good as my sister's.
Maybe it's because she's older.
Maybe my grapes will look as good
As hers
When I am 8, too.

My mom told me to color
In my book of princesses.
She said to stay in the lines.
I can't stay in the lines.
The crayon is too big.
My hand is too small.
"Grass isn't purple"
My sister says.
She's right.

I wonder if my sister
Could spell "trophy" when she was in second grade?
Probably not. 
She's better at pictures and dancing.
I'm better at letters.
Mom gave me a book to read.
It's Magic Tree House.
My sister is reading
How to draw horses.
She's good at it.

I just took my sixth grade spelling test.
I spelled
"Antidisestablishmentarianism"
Right.
I spelled "ideal"
Wrong.
My sister is in dance.
She says the teacher hates her.

My teacher just handed back
Our last book reports of ninth grade.
"C-"
Mine read.
My sister said
"I told you honors was pointless."
She's taking motion picture.

I got my ACT score back.
5 points higher than my sister.
She says it doesn't matter.
She's in a very good college.
She's engaged to a very tall boy.
She's probably right.

She's never taken dance or
Art again.
I'm still writing,
Words spelled out on the paper.
Putting myself on the page.

Still, sometimes I wonder
What I could have been
If my grass could have been 
purple.

--Alis

10 comments:

  1. I realllllyyyyyyy liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of it just unfolds so well. And I read the whole thing.

    Also, pessimism. Your theme is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Still, sometimes I wonder What I could have been If my grass could have been purple." #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is my favorite of yours. yes, I've been stalking.

    ReplyDelete