1.23.2014

Who is Alis Priddy?

Alis Priddy is not a real person. She is a figment of my imagination. She is the dark side of me, reminding me that life isn't sunshine, rainbows, and comic relief. She is the part of my brain scoffing at my bad puns. She is the part of me that cries silently, not wanting to be heard for fear of attracting attention. Alis is the Welsh derivation of Adelaide, which, roughly translated, means "noble sort," but she is the one in my head telling me to save myself and worry about everyone else later because damn right they're thinking the same thing.

Despite the fact that Alis is in my head, she is one of the most real parts of me. She is the practical side, the side that tells me when I'm being an idiot (she's very outspoken on this front). She is my emotional center, able to express what I don't even realize I feel. She doesn't care about what I am. She doesn't care that I'm a 17-year-old girl, a high school senior. She doesn't care about my dress size or how long I spend doing my hair. She couldn't care less about what I look like or about my identity in society's terms. She cares about my character. She focuses on who I am and who I will become. She cares about my weaknesses and how I'll turn them into strengths. Alis makes me feel. She is the only thing standing between myself and apathy. For this reason, I will no longer be [insert name here]

I will be Alis.

iamthefaceinthemirror
iamthevoiceinmyhead
iamtellingmyself
iaminadequate
iamtellingmyself
iamgoodenough
iamnotpretty
iambeautiful
iamnottrusting
iamtrusted
iamtryingtowaxpoetic
iamnotapoet
iammyownworstenemy
iammyownbestfriend
iamtooemotional
iamnotopenenough
iaminsecure
iamconfident
iambreakingbut
iamnotyetbroken
iamcompletelyunique
iamcompletelyordinary
iamtryingtobeunexpected
iamexpected
iamaproductofsociety
iamdoingwhaticantobemyself
iamnotyetcomplete
iwillbecomemyself
iwillbecomewhoiwanttobe
i
am
alis


7 comments:

  1. I can't tell if Alis is a cool way to spell "Alice" or "Eliese", but I like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read some of your posts, and they're beautiful. And it's like "Alice," but Welsh.

      Delete
  2. the iam... list is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Brought chills to my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bones are frozen and I can't move. You are incredible...

    ReplyDelete