2.28.2014

Killer by number.

It's hard to be a name in a world full of numbers.

My dress calls me 10.
Boys call me a 6 or 7.
The school calls me 97_4_3.
My birth certificate calls me 17.
My GPA calls me 3.864.
My bank account calls me 113.28.
The ACT calls me a 32.

Does it matter that I call myself Alis?

They say that schools kill creativity. No offense to the math fans, but I think that the death of divergent thinking comes with the concept of numbers.
I was always given a number with my cubby in elementary. It was always around 16 or 17. I was defined by that number. It was written next to my name on all of my papers. The teachers gave numbers that we knew as well as our own names to be used interchangeably.
It was their way of making us their own: erase our names woven with love and beauty and replace them with utilitarian numbers, creating machines that think linearly.

Teach me about 1+1 and the importance of the 5 paragraph essay format. Insert numbers into my writing. I'll tell you that 1+1=skis and prewriting is a waste of my time.

The world thinks with the numbers that come from its head instead of the words that come from its heart.

Names are too personal. They want to be able to cut you down remorselessly.

Don't name the chickens. They'll be on the table soon enough.

That's why I can't be a number.
I'm not a number.
I'm not a number.
I'm not a number.

I am A l i s
I am A l i s
I am A l i 19
I am A l 9 19
I am A 12 9 19
I am 1 12 9 19

--1 12 9 19

14 comments:

  1. Don't name the chickens. They'll be on the table soon enough.


    love this line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I'm obsessed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just great. Just so so so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post. Brilliant and it's so true. "It's hard to be a name in a world full of numbers." great line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes your top 5 post seem crappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put me in the next one if you want. I won't be opposed.

      Delete
  6. Fangirling. I think our student numbers are, like, the same. And I agree so much with this post that I'm thinking we need to start a club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS SO EERIE. but wow congrats on such a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was deciding between "Lines and Points," "To that kid who wanted to be an astronaut," and I ultimately decided on this. You and Priscilla Belle could make up all of my top five. I know I already commented but I wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why haven't I seen this this is the smoothest thing since babies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this idea; it's unique and cool :D

    ReplyDelete