2.12.2014

Because love.

"So, what do you really want out of this?" you asked.


I want you. I want to hold your hand. I want to breathe you in and feel your heart beat in time with my soul. I want you to kiss me like you really mean it. I want you to tell me I'm beautiful when I cry. I want you to get down on one knee and ask me to be yours unconditionally. I want to say yes. I want to tell you about the plans for the wedding while you smile and nod because you clocked out five minutes ago. I want to look into your eyes across the altar as we are bound together inextricably. I want to have a wedding night. I want to fall asleep with you and wake up with you. I want to have a side of the bed. I want to do the dishes with you. I want you to argue with me about baby names. I want you to drive me to the hospital when I go into labor in the middle of the night. I want to crush your hand and blame you for my pain. I want to see your face the first time you hold our little girl, looking into her eyes that are your eyes and at her nose that is my nose. I want you to get up when she cries in the middle of the night. I want you to call her princess. I want you to bandage her scraped knee and tell her it's all going to be all right. I want you to cry when we send her off to kindergarten, then junior high, then high school, then when we drive away and she's standing on the front lawn at her dorm. I want to retire with you. I want us to play with our grandchildren together. I want to sit on the front porch in rocking chairs drinking lemonade with you, holding hands and remembering life. I want you with me when I'm on my last leg and you're on yours, so that we can tell each other that it's all right. Everything's all right. I want us to be all right.

I didn't think I could say all of that to you, considering we were a couple of 17 year olds sitting in your car with Chinese takeout on the console between us and the local pop station playing quietly in the background.


So I summarized and said, "I love you. We'll see what happens."

Then you smiled that little half smile that makes it hard for me to focus and you told me you loved me, too.

Because you are love and I am love and it is all right. Everything's all right. We are all right.


--Alis


9 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this post. Is that a thing? Can I write my love post about having fallen for this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was reading something I shouldn't be when I read this. It's so personal and so real and I loved it.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of made my heart jump a bit and I loved reading it. You are very good at this game too

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I want us to be all right."
    Ugh I can't handle how cute and sweet this is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is everything I want in a husband! So real. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. You're writing is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so beautiful ans so well put together! I love the set up, and twist of them just being 17. YES!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want these things too, So great.

    ReplyDelete