3.11.2014

You and her

You're dead.

You're dead and she cried.

You died.

You were her first kiss.

Then you died.

You were the only man in her life.

Her dad,
He died.

You used to hold her.

Then you died.

I went over there,
the day you died.

She couldn't even tell me
"He died."

You died
And she tried to follow you.



I know it was an accident,
And I know you couldn't have,
But I think she still wishes you left a note.

I guess I didn't know you very well.
I wonder how many people went to your funeral who never talked to you.
"You were an inspiration."
"You were so strong."
"I want to be a person like you, someday."
I also wonder how many people will lie at my funeral.

--Alis




3 comments:

  1. Whoa. The closing lines. All of them.
    I think sometimes we say things we don't fully mean because we don't know what else to say. Well-intentioned words can fall so short. But you are an inspiration to me and that could never be a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love loved this. So real and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true.

    How can everybody be so sweet, such an inspiration, so funny, and courageous, and the best mother?

    I promise I would lie for you if I had to speak at your funeral.

    ReplyDelete