1.31.2014

Mantra (ray?)

man·tra

[man-truh, mahn-, muhn-]
noun
1.
Hinduism. a word or formula, as from the Veda, chanted or sung as an incantation or prayer.
2.
an often repeated word, formula, or phrase, often a truism: If I hear the “less is more” mantra one more time, I'll scream.

Mantras. 
I like to repeat words, formulas, and phrases in my head.
Too often it is something like, "Shut up. You really aren't as funny as you think."

Positivity would probably be a good thing for me to have.
Things could go more like, "You're cool. Everyone likes you."
(that's not a truism.
tru·ism
[troo-iz-uhm]
noun
a self-evident, obvious truth.)

Probably, though, my mantra will remain unchanged.

We all focus on what we did wrong rather than what we did well.
I don't know why.
It's a problem.

Is it a human problem?
Do golden retrievers have self-esteem issues?

My guess would be no,
but what do I know?
I'm not a golden retriever.

All I know is that I need my identity to be determined
by what I can do rather than what I am incapable of.
I should be praising myself for the fact that I got out of bed, right?
That I even went to all four classes?
That I stayed awake (mostly) for them?
That I'm not failing my classes?
(well, except calculus.
working on that.)

I don't know.
Sorry if this wasn't what you expected from me.
Sorry if you didn't like this. 
I apologize for the lack of poetically phrased insights into
the human condition.
After all, I'm only human.

--Alis



3 comments:

  1. Please don't apologize. Never apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like such a hypocrite telling people to not apologize, when "I'm sorry" is the only phrase I know, but really, this was lacking nothing. Thoughts can be more beautiful than poetry.

    ReplyDelete