1.27.2014

For the we that was

This is for us.
For the three a.m. fights about
Nothing that mattered
And everything that did.
For the hash browns made out of tater tots
Because you refused to eat tots for breakfast.
For the kiss we tried to have in the rain
When it turned to hail
So we took cover in your car and
Listened to it pound against the roof.
For the conversations at the dinner table
With my parents
About Smashing Pumpkins and Depeche Mode.
For the CD you made me
That I didn't like 
That made me try to educate you musically.
This is for the time I made you watch The Notebook
And, in return, you made me watch I Am Legend.
This is for the tears you wiped from my face
Those days I didn't have a reason for crying
And also the days that I did.
For when you named the constellations for us,
The constellations that didn't notice our existence,
Much less our names for them.
You thought they'd see us.
They didn't.
This is for our love.
Premature.
Short-lived.
A "high school romance" that lasted
For 3 months and 8 days.
You counted them.
You were the optimist.
I didn't think we'd last.
You tried to prove me wrong.
In the end you proved me right.
She said it was my fault.
"You didn't love him enough." She said.
She was probably right. 
"That's why he came to me." She said.
She was probably right.
"You were the one who kept telling him it wasn't going to last." She said.
She was probably right.
I said I loved you.
I still love you.
In the end, we didn't last.
I'm sorry, but
I was right.

i was right.


--Alis



10 comments:

  1. I really like this. Specific and simple and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop, it's too good. Don't ever stop, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes you feel something. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I want is to cry, this post is so beautiful, I cannot take it. You are an amazing individual with a mind that I cannot comprehend enough to understand!! Keep it coming. Enjoy your beautiful mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to cry. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really touching. Nice to see inside your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is really good too. I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete